Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Rites of Summer...


Who's the dork with the camera? Yeah, not a great look for me, I'll admit...but I was KILLIN' that suit man, trust me. This actually isn't SUMMER, it was a couple days after the Murrah Bombing anniversary this year. Former President Clinton was in town to receive an award for his help in OKC's recovery following April 19,1995. But Clinton, who NEVER sticks to his schedule, wanted to visit the memorial, and I was one of just a handful of media-types who got to follow him around for the 15 minutes or so that he was there. Pretty cool.

But on with the summertime stuff. School's out, and that in itself brings about all kinds of end-of-the-year happenings. "Dad, I need $30 for a yearbook." THIRTY BUCKS? I don't remember paying that much for my elementary yearbook. Come to think of it, in MY DAY, we didn't even HAVE an elementary yearbook. So of course I bought TWO this year. Next year we'll have a JUNIOR HIGH yearbook. It'll probably be about a hundred...

My son, who'll be in junior high this year, got his first taste of mowing the lawn today. I have crooked lines all over my yard to prove it. It's about time, an old guy like me shouldn't have to do things like that.

I've got a great gig at work...I NEVER forget that. I'm fortunate enough to do stories for News9.com, NEWS9, and OKBlitz.com. I never really know which one I'm gonna service from day to day, but that's kinda cool. Keeps me jumpin'. I just found out recently that I won a First Place in Feature Photography from the Associated Press for "Willie the Singin' Ringer." You can watch that story HERE.  I'll give you the back story on Willie and how we met in my next post...which won't be SIX MONTHS FROM NOW!

Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment